JOURNEY My journey starting at 10k. (update: currently at 95k)

wildkarrde

Oct 18, 2017
For the last year, I had no idea what I was doing, or that communities like this even existed. Nonetheless, I had a goal of posting 1 photo a day, and have been doing to since January without many major delays. To get to this point, I started using ninjagram in June, and have been just doing a basic like method with some of the biggest hashtags in my space (products).

Once I hit 10k a week ago, I decided to take things more seriously and I started doing a little more research on how to grow things faster. One of the first mistakes I realized was that I switched over to a business account without knowing what it would do to my engagement. I've since switched back to a personal account, but I still think the damage has been done.

Beyond that, these are the things I've started this week.

• Picked up mass planner, and have been using a 1-2 punch method. My sources are an account that isn't automated, as well as an account (150k) that is also doing the 1-2 punch, and so far my ratios are .21 for the automated source, and .18 for the un-automated source
  • I've completely redone my hashtag strategy, and instead of using the big hashtags, I've settled on 15 all around 5-15k posts
  • Following 552/day
  • Unfollowing 390/day
Week 1 results

It's kind of disappointing this week, as my latest posts are all sitting around 250-300 likes. Previous to this, they were at 300-500. I don't know if this is because I switched back to a personal account, my new hashtag strategy, or the fact that I switched from liking to the 1-2 punch. I feel like the punch is better for followers, but liking is better for overall engagement.

New followers are about 100/day

$$$

An interesting part about my niche is that I've had a ton of people reach out to me about their kickstarter projects for a sponsored post, and this week I've had 4 successful posts adding up to $150 and they blend in really well with my existing content.

Going forward

I'm going to let the dust settle for the next couple weeks and keep these changes, then will start to experiment with new settings. I've added another source for a large account, and am thinking about going up to 2 posts a day, with more of a color theme.

We'll see where things end up.

Last edited:

wildkarrde

Oct 18, 2017
I decided to dive a little deeper into the hashtags I was using tonight since I figured I was aiming too low, and turns out I was! My recent posts were all in the top posts for groups under 50k, so I've decided to reach higher.

edit: Image removed

Here is a list of hashtags I put together, the amount of posts in each one, if my posts have been in the top post for that hashtag, and what I'm going to try next. I've color coded each one in terms of difficulty from 1-100k, 100k-1mil, 1mil-10mil, and 10mil+. Since I've nailed all the green ones already, I'm going to focus on the yellow ones, and reach a bit up into the top a bit.

I've preplanned my week in mass planner with the new ones using the signature feature, but I feel like I should add a few more specific for that image. It's kind of pain though, because I would have to stop using the signature and start copy and pasting for each one.

Last edited:

Kurtax

Instagram Legend
Feb 13, 2017
Europe
Yeah definitely you were aiming too low with hashtags. Hashtags of your level are not just seen by the ammount of posts they get but mostly by the ammount of likes. If you want to get serious into hashtags, trade word with @Nocturnae, he delivers the most insightful hashtag service on the internet
Keep updating us!

Reactions: Nocturnae

Minimal_scapes

Jun 19, 2017
You overlap with my niche (we use some hashtags).

People in this niche you usually have to like a lot of photos unless you really have good content. For instance, the unlimited_minimal (or the rsa_minimal, those two are the two biggest usable hashtags, since minimal, etc. are too high), are very big, and you need at least 800-1000 likes in 4 hours to get there, plus a bunch of comments (like 20 at least in the first hour).

Don't want to kill @Nocturnae bussiness or something (he has really good offers imo), but I can supplement is offer with some feeder accounts for likes and comments in this niche (free of course, but DM me). I think his knowledge in hashtags and mine in the community will really help you!

wildkarrde

Oct 18, 2017
I just checked a post that I put up about 5 hours ago, and it reached higher than I expected. I used the keywords from my research that I posted above and was able to get into the top posts for 2 hashtags with 700k posts! I should have done my research earlier, but now I know where my ceiling is so I can keep pushing it higher.

Reactions: Kurtax

wildkarrde

Oct 18, 2017
Week 1 update
The research I did last week have helped a ton, and I'm really regretting not doing it earlier. I did end up purchasing paid hashtag research from a user here, but I didn't use anything from it as I had most of the info, and I was targeting higher post counts. I'm up to 11.4k followers (1.4k+ from last week)

Results

Last week I was targeting hashtags up with up to 30k posts, this week I started targeting posts up to 1.6million and I ended up getting in the top posts multiple times! I know where my ceiling is at now, so I'm going to keep pushing higher. Here are some of the results from this week.

edit- Image removed

I'm still posting 1x a day, doing the 1-2 punch, and my daily followers have done up by 3-4x what they were before. My unfollow settings seem a little low though because they are starting to add up.

Image%202017-10-31%20at%2011.53.14%20AM.png

I also updated my feeder list, and holy shit what a difference that has made in the last couple days. Here are some stats around the 9 I've followed

Feeder #1 (new) - 36% follow back
Feeder #2 (new) - 28% follow back
Feeder #3 (new) - 26% follow back
Feeder #4 (new) - 26% follow back
Feeder #5 (new) - 22% follow back
Feeder #6 (old) - 20% follow back
Feeder #7 (old) - 20% follow back
Feeder #8 (old) - 15% follow back
Feeder #9 (old) - 13% follow back

$$$

I sold another sponsored post for today for $50, which includes a post, a 5 photo story, and a link to bio. He was a pain in the ass to deal with, supplying shitty images, so it probably wasn't even worth it by the time everything was figured out.

Going forward

I'm heading off to LA this week, so I don't have much time to experiment with anything beyond the above. When I get back, I'm going to try to post 2x a day and see what the results were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtax and dk1980

Kurtax

Instagram Legend
Feb 13, 2017
Europe
Awesome follow up! Is there any marketplace/platform you are getting your sponsored posts from? or was it direct contact?

wildkarrde

Oct 18, 2017
Awesome follow up! Is there any marketplace/platform you are getting your sponsored posts from? or was it direct contact?

I've reached out to 2 kickstarter projects, and I've had another 2 reach out to me. My content is very "high design" and super polished, so I reached out to well designed products on there so far.

Kurtax

Instagram Legend
Feb 13, 2017
Europe
I've reached out to 2 kickstarter projects, and I've had another 2 reach out to me. My content is very "high design" and super polished, so I reached out to well designed products on there so far.

Awesome work! Keep up and keep us posted :emoji_metal:

Minimal_scapes

Jun 19, 2017
Super awesome work my friend!! Today you appeared on my feed and I've just noticed you had an increase in engagementin likes! Next: start looking into the times you post and see which time is better!

Btw guys I've heard about a strategy to get sponsored content and ads: search specific brand hashtags that are new (i.e. that have few posts), and use them in your content. Since the hashtag is still small (1k~posts for instance), and since the brand is usually using it to promote content, you may get noticed and they may approach you.

wildkarrde

Oct 18, 2017
Super awesome work my friend!! Today you appeared on my feed and I've just noticed you had an increase in engagementin likes! Next: start looking into the times you post and see which time is better!

Btw guys I've heard about a strategy to get sponsored content and ads: search specific brand hashtags that are new (i.e. that have few posts), and use them in your content. Since the hashtag is still small (1k~posts for instance), and since the brand is usually using it to promote content, you may get noticed and they may approach you.

Thanks man! I'll start commenting on some of your posts on my personal account (starts with bryan). I'm managing everything on my other account through my vps, so I want to keep it off my mobile for now. Good strategy there as well!

wildkarrde

Oct 18, 2017
Week 2 update
Since I've been gone all week, things have pretty much been on autopilot this whole time. I've noticed engagement is up, which is again due to hitting those higher top spots on hashtags. Up to 12.k followers (1.1+ from last week).

$$$
One more post sold today for $20

Going forward
My goal was to post 2x this week to look how things get bumped up, but I noticed I've followed too many people in the last week and a half (up to 3k). I stopped 1-2 punching, and have been running straight unfollow for the last couple days, and I'm going to keep doing that until I'm back down to something like 500. Maybe 3-4 days until I get there.

Once that's done, I'm going to fire up the 1-2 punch, then start posting 2x a day. Kinda sucks because I'm losing about 100 followers a day without it, but I prefer a cleaner account. Oh, I also removed my sources with less than a 20% followback.

Does mass planner have a tool to see which posts are performing better based on which time of day they are posted?

Last edited:

samkv

Jul 31, 2017
Have you tried following and unfollowing on the same day?

People say it raises red flags for instagram, this hasn't been my experience so far ( Account is 4 months old and has been F/U for 3months and two weeks)

wildkarrde

Oct 18, 2017
Have you tried following and unfollowing on the same day?

People say it raises red flags for instagram, this hasn't been my experience so far ( Account is 4 months old and has been F/U for 3months and two weeks)

I have, but I would always unfollow a little less than I was following, so it would add up. Maybe I'll tweak the numbers so they are the same.

Minimal_scapes

Jun 19, 2017
Hi! I'll notice the comments! Since I get some comments sometimes it is hard to know who is who... But now I will notice and will follow your personal.

Btw regarding followers: try to get in touch with similar accounts with similar or bigger followers and trade story shootouts. Their loyal followers who have more followings than followers will probably follow you and engage. And since it is usual to do this currently, your own followers won't find this type of story to be that intrusive

wildkarrde

Oct 18, 2017
Midweek update.

I tried searching for my account on my personal account today and it said this user had no posts. I switched over to my main account and did the phone verification which got it back up and running. I've since stopped massplanner, until I know what to do going forward.

Was I just pushing things too far in massplanner, or is it because I wasn't using a proxy with the free amazon VPS? I have no idea. @IGKing @rtribe13 , any ideas how to play this a bit safer going forward?

edit: Also, I've been turning all actions off on MP when I need to manually upload a story. That wouldn't trigger it would it?

Last edited:

wildkarrde

Oct 18, 2017
Week 4 update
Currently sitting at 14.2k. Toned down the follow/unfollow settings, so that I have sub 1000 followers, but still get around 100/day. Still posting 1 a day because I haven't had much time to find content, and posting twice a day would be tough. I found a guy scraping my posts and captions as well as another guy in the space with over 400k followers. We are going to be doing a giveaway or something soon which should give me a nice little boost.

$$$
I'm getting a ton of requests for sponsored content. 2 for $50 in the last 2 weeks, and 1 for $20.

Going forward
This thing is pretty well on autopilot at this point, so I'm not going to change too much. I'm fine with the current growth, so I'm going to ride it out for a bit.

Reactions: The_Cutter