Hello

aspnet82

Feb 23, 2021
Hi Everybody!

Very new to the forum. I have a side business as a photographer and I am trying to grow my IG engagement. This is where I struggle (u can check here @alessandrospedito)

I have a decent amount of followers but really low engagement... I am trying to reduce the number of following inactive and replacing them with more people in my area / interested in my business

In your experience which is the best way to create engagement? I have started using stories to ask which picture publish next, and I use stories now to promote new posts.

I was thinking of offering a session if I reach a certain amount of comments or likes etc... what do you think?

I still do not have very clear engagements groups etc... need to study a bit :p

Hopefully, I will find a lot of good advice in the forum and in the book :)

Reactions: IG Pro

IG Pro

Elite Member
Oct 4, 2019
Czech Republic
Hey Alessandro!
Welcome to the forum!

I went quickly through your Instagram page, and as you've mentioned, the engagement isn't the best. You are using great hashtags - but they can't rank with the reach you have at the moment! So, everything comes to your followers.

Have you ever bought any fake followers?
What kind of growth strategies you've used?

Either way, I recommend you start removing people (followers) from your profile that are not active. I'd put mainly the focus on pages that follow more than 1,000 Instagram profiles. These Instagram accounts are less likely to see your posts and engage with them.

Also, the number of people you follow is considerably high. You should follow around 200 people if you want to make your Instagram profile look professional.

When it comes to the BIO section of your Instagram page, you've pretty much nailed it! It's written for your targeted audience, which is a tremendous point in converting new followers. Nevertheless, I'd slightly edit/structure it better. So, the text is not all over the place. You start with a few words at the top and end it with a sentence or multiple words at the bottom of the bio. Example what I think: https://www.instagram.com/olivia.steuer/

Regarding your profile picture, I'd change it to your face where you showcase some positive emotion (happiness, surprise, joy, etc.). People will remember you faster (build a ''friendship'') & they'll be more likely to follow.

Increasing engagement can be easily done through engaging with your followers, with people/photographs within your niche, etc.

You've already mentioned you are utilizing stories. That is awesome! They are excellent engagement booster. I highly suggest you use this ''trick'' where you put a hashtag into story, size it down as much as possible - so it's invisible/barely visible to the human eye, or move it out of the screen. In both cases, the hashtag will work.

Instagram stories are remarkable for making your followers engaged. So, never ever run out of the stories. Always have at least one going on. Boosting your followers' engagement can be done via Instagram quiz stories. Something that the F1 (Formula 1) page does extremely well.

It's just something I've noticed by quickly going through your page. There is more stuff that can be implemented. But I don't want to overwhelm you with the info since you are still reading the ebook.

aspnet82

Feb 23, 2021
Hi, thanks a lot for your answer!

I never bought fake followers, I dedicated some times when I had time to grow the account but I think I did not pay that much attention to the quality of followers and following.
In terms of strategy, I never had one. I would like to start doing things properly now. Now I am removing people I have not interacted with and replace with some that might have engagement as either they are in the same business or they follow/interact with businesses similar to mine (I had 3K following 1 month ago)

I'll try to work on the picture/bio and also interact with my followers better!

Is there any other way where should I invest some time (and maybe some money as well)?

Reactions: IG Pro

IG Pro

Elite Member
Oct 4, 2019
Czech Republic
A free method of how to grow is to network with other photographers within your niche.
Basically, you shoutout each other - win x win. The same goes for collaborations.

If you want to take it to another level with those shoutouts. Then I recommend you to create a telegram group and invite in photographers like you and become a ''shoutout-train''.
Long story short, you've got ''rounds'' where everyone in the group shoutouts one profile. Once the shoutout round ends, the account that has received the shoutout now shoutouts others in the group.

So, for an example:
You have a group of 3 photographers in your telegram group.
You, Anna, Bob, and Alex.

On the first day (first shoutout round) - you receive shoutouts from everyone.
On the second day, everyone shoutouts Anna (including you)
On the third day, everyone shoutouts bob (including you)
On the fourth day, everyone shoutouts Alex (including you)

Now let's say that each profile has 10k followers (combined 40k users). All these users can rotate between your Instagram accounts. Now, you should expect a bit more realistic numbers, around 500 - 1,000 followers from each profile (if each profile has 10k legit followers) & if your page and the shoutout are correctly optimized.

Other than that, there are a few paid methods that can help you grow. But it really depends on the budget you are willing to invest.

IG Pro

Elite Member
Oct 4, 2019
Czech Republic
Sure thing!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me! I'll be more than happy to help you!

Best regards,
IG PRO

aspnet82

Feb 23, 2021
Hi,

I just wanted to share an update on my IG status after applying some of the advice I found in the book.
  1. I am removing step by step accounts there is no interaction with
  2. I am liking photos of people that like my style of photography. I manually like photos of people that like portrait / high-quality pictures
  3. Unfortunately, I have no time for commenting
Here the result of the last month:
  • I gained 300 followers (In theory is more but there is also some unfollowing)
  • I diminished by 15% the number of following (I do this step by step)
  • Engagement per post went from 1-2% to 7-10%
I just wanted to check if this is a good way to grow the account and if in some ways the results are positive. I have no comparison so I cannot say if the 300 accounts in 1 month with this activity are ok.

Here the report of my account on Later (report is 90 days but I started working on my IG only the last 30)

And on IG my account is
@alessandrospedito

I really think in the book there is plenty of very very good advice. Unfortunately, I do not have time to apply all the things indicated and I am trying to optimize as much as I can my IG activity

Hopefully, I am doing it correctly :)