JOURNEY Foodie journey to 10k... then its eyes on 50k... (now at 246K+)

BGEH

Elite Member
Jun 1, 2017
England
Hi Guys,

I want to document our journey here..

We've started with a small account, its a couple of years old and we want to make a shot at making it a big account!

We decided a few weeks back to buy influx so we are working our way the book. Last week was basically week 1 of the journey!

Your input and help is and will always be appreciated! :)

Reactions: Eric Landgraf

BGEH

Elite Member
Jun 1, 2017
England
A quick re-cap of last week..

Week 1..

We started manually doing the 1-2 punch.. Hats off to Noah, manually it took time!!

During the week I have had a couple of pictures shared by bigger accounts that have 1m plus followers and have gained some followers from that.

No massive gains this week, but a gain is a gain:-

Followers:-
4th June - 2096
13th June 2365

Note:
I did notice on one of my picture post this week that the picture did not show up in the hashtags for 30 minutes. Does anyone know what this might be?

Last edited:

IGKing

Author & Administrator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2016
USA
I did notice on one of my picture post this week that the picture did not show up in the hashtags for 30 minutes. Does anyone know what this might be?

That's strange.

Any update on this? Does this still happen?

BGEH

Elite Member
Jun 1, 2017
England
So a quick update:

We have progress but its slow.

We are currently running the account of our phones.

Most of our following is coming in organically. We frequently get in the top 9 for our small/medium hashtags.

We also get shared from other accounts 100k+ accounts and every now and again by 1m+ accounts such as cupcakegrid and foodyfetish.

We really want to grow the account alongside a Youtube account... BUT, I think we're lacking a bit of strategy here so need to get our asses in gear and make it happen!!

Slowly working through the book!! more haste BG, more haste :)

Current followers: 17 July -3626
Best post Engagement: 1084

That's strange.

Any update on this? Does this still happen?

Funnily it hadn't happened for ages, then on Friday it happened again but for about 3hrs.

On both occasions I reported the problem to IG. But basically the post shows up to my followers as normal but not in the hashtags. After this happened i test uploaded a picture with a couple of simple hashtags to check if it was my hashtags, but same thing happened.

As mentioned first time it was around 30mins and this Friday it was for about 3 hours.

We haven't posted to the IG wall since but are going to post in a couple of hours. We've used IG over the weekend on the reel and got good interaction on there. Thought that not posting to the wall for a couple of days maybe best to avoid a ban.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pov

BGEH

Elite Member
Jun 1, 2017
England
Update and Advice please:

We've just hit 4000 followers! :D

Our posts vary between about 200-1500 likes depending on what we post and comments from 5-50 (cheesy burgers get a lot of attention!). Some big 100k+ accounts have commented on our posts. I thought i'd mention this, as I have read IG likes people with 'authority' noticing you.

Our total impressions this week are 48,640, our reach is 17,472 and profile views are 2,516.

We regularly get reposted by some big accounts with 250k-1m followers and some of those reposts have appeared in the explore feed.

As mentioned above we also regularly get in the Top 9 of some small-medium hashtags and every now and then we hit it big an have appeared in a tag with 2.6m (#burgers).

I feel our engagement is pretty good for a 4k follower account, but our growth still seems to be slow in comparison to what I've read from other people. Our followers are averaging about 1000 per month at the moment.

Looking at our engagement should our growth be quicker?
Is this because we're still a small account that our growth appears slow, or are we doing something wrong/not doing something that we should be?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

BGEH

Elite Member
Jun 1, 2017
England
so quick update:-

We are now at 5625 followers.

We started using engagements groups about a week a go, they have helped but they are more travel niche than food niche so I don't know if that harms us or not.

We have had some photos with decent a decent amount of likes for the size of our account, over 1000 likes on a few photos.

we are trying to keep the content of the account high and it definitely helps us as we are being invited to restaurants to eat and take photos.

so all in all growth is still slow but its still growth.

My question is does anybody know the easiest place to find food niche related engagement groups??

Thanks

Last edited:

Navy Dave

Aug 29, 2017
California
www.davidrachford.com
Re: food niche related engagement groups... why not make your own!

Reach out to 6-10 decent size accounts in your niche and either start a DM group or however it's done... (total newb here, so I'm talking out of my ass)

Martin Kirilov

Jul 13, 2017
Do you pay for your posts to be reposted by the bigger accs or they just like the content, you're posting and ask you to repost it?

landt007

Jun 9, 2017
England
Stumbled across your account while f/uf'ing seems we are from the same area. Great job on your page!

BGEH

Elite Member
Jun 1, 2017
England
Quick update:

We are now at 9072 followers. Growth is still reasonable slow but still on the up.

We are currently using engagement groups but still struggling to find food niche groups.

Likes are creeping up on the photos but very specific to what the post is, some posts get 300 likes and if its a burger post it gets between 1000-3500 likes.

We had a share from a buzzfeed account that has 2.4m followers which was cool, but only gained 140 followers from the share which was surprisingly low in our opinion.

The goal was to hit 10k before we go on holiday in 5 weeks, and we certainly expect that to happen.

Following always seems to pick up slow but we're hoping once we hit 10k the follower will start to come in quicker.

Last edited:

chewww

Dec 11, 2017
this is awesome thank you . im starting several food accounts, but i didnt know if they should just be all food, or sub niches . i think a balance of both is good. following a long, thanks again