Does anyone else lose the same amount of followers that they gain?

acer

Apr 18, 2019
So I have a personal business account that constantly just gains and loses the same amount of followers, resulting in an overall net gain of zero. My follower count hasn’t budged in a year despite gaining followers periodically. Example: I’ll gain 3 followers and then lose 3 in the same 24 hours. This happens constantly without fail.

I had purchased a few hundred followers when I first began this account and didn’t really know how IG worked, but since then I haven’t. Is there some kind of “punishment” in the algorithm (which also doesn’t make sense to me since anyone could purchase fake followers for an account and sabotage it)?

Is this account just permanently screwed? I’m hoping not since remaking it would be a big problem at this point.

Very frustrating. Thanks for any help

IGKing

Author & Administrator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2016
USA
What are you doing to grow your account? Just posting?

IGKing

Author & Administrator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2016
USA
Yeah — posting, stories, commenting on others posts/stories, liking etc. Nothing outside of using the app itself

You should try engaging with others. Follow at least 50 people a day. That should help you get more new exposure on your pictures if you're trying to grow organically. It's hard to grow if your content isn't hitting the explore and you're not consistently following new people.

acer

Apr 18, 2019
You should try engaging with others. Follow at least 50 people a day. That should help you get more new exposure on your pictures if you're trying to grow organically. It's hard to grow if your content isn't hitting the explore and you're not consistently following new people.

Interesting, I’ll give it a shot for a few months and see how it goes.

Have you heard of anyone constantly losing followers as they gain them, though? Just this weekend I gained 10 followers and lost 10-12. This happens like clockwork and I have a hard time believing people are really looking up my account to unfollow that often. I’m under 5k followers still, so not wildly popular to be on people’s minds. Something just seems off about that.

IGKing

Author & Administrator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2016
USA
Interesting, I’ll give it a shot for a few months and see how it goes.

Have you heard of anyone constantly losing followers as they gain them, though? Just this weekend I gained 10 followers and lost 10-12. This happens like clockwork and I have a hard time believing people are really looking up my account to unfollow that often. I’m under 5k followers still, so not wildly popular to be on people’s minds. Something just seems off about that.

One of the reasons that this method works is that over time, you'll build a consistent fan base that will help & increase your ability to go viral on the explore. It's not ideal to follow/unfollow into infinity, there is a point where this method gradually leads into other methods that are a bit more sustainable and productive.