FITSPO'S JOURNEY Becoming an Authority in the Fitness/Rehab Niche

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
What’s going on guys? I’m going to post my journey here for my local business. I’m a fitness trainer.

I’m using Instagram to highlight clients, I do and also educate my followers on exercises, pain, etc. I primarily work with bodybuilders and fitness competitors.

My first post on this IG page was January 15th of this year, and I started with zero followers. As of today, my followers are currently at 8,260. I’ve had some great growth in the past couple months and looking to grow exponentially in the next few months not only on IG but in my business.

This is what I’ve been doing to grow my account

- I started with the basic follow/unfollow/likes method with no comments. Just following similar accounts followers and wasn’t worried about having a good follow/follower ratio.

- I decided to repost a couple of posts by the #1 guy in my niche. Those two posts hit the explore page and boosted my weekly impressions to 600K! (most I had was 5k in a week) I ended up getting 3000 followers just from those two reposts. (this happened three weeks ago and haven't hit it again)

- I am now just trying to put together more original content and back to following/unfollowing/liking. Would also like to build up a group of people in my niche on IG to start commenting on each others posts.

Goals

Right now my goals are just to continue to grow on IG and to drive leads to my local business. It’s been better than I expected but I can see the potential here and want to run with it and become the authority figure for what I do. Growing the account also gives me the opportunity for sponsorships and traveling. Someone similar is setting up dates and booking sessions at $200 an hour all around the US and selling out. She only has 13k followers but a loyal fanbase. I'm looking to do the same.

Will keep this thread updated with anything interesting. Thanks and looking forward to logging my journey but also learning as much as I can and helping other as well.

Pictured below is my follower growth for the month.

Last edited:

Harry

Elite Member
Jan 21, 2017
The growth seems good, could be better but it should start to snowball soon.

The only thing is, as you are a local company, surely it's best to have local followers instead of going for numbers.

Sure, having more followers makes you look better, but it's worthless if they are, say, in England while you are in America.

It would be better for you to do two things.

a.) Continue with the follow/like sources you have now. Try and find a way to monetize these followers worldwide. Maybe CPA or Gym products.

b.) Start to follow friends of friends. Build a list of maybe 10-50 people you know are local, and then follow all of their followers. You can even follow by GEO location if you want.

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
The growth seems good, could be better but it should start to snowball soon.

The only thing is, as you are a local company, surely it's best to have local followers instead of going for numbers.

Sure, having more followers makes you look better, but it's worthless if they are, say, in England while you are in America.

It would be better for you to do two things.

a.) Continue with the follow/like sources you have now. Try and find a way to monetize these followers worldwide. Maybe CPA or Gym products.

b.) Start to follow friends of friends. Build a list of maybe 10-50 people you know are local, and then follow all of their followers. You can even follow by GEO location if you want.

Thanks for the advice! I thought 8k followers in less than 3 months was pretty good. What number do you think it should be at?

50% of the followers I follow are from the most popular gyms in the area. I also will follow people who like a certain persons post. It's worked well so far.

Currently not going to try and promote and sell things until i get a legitimate sponsorship where they pay me and not just give me a discount code.

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
Current Follower Count - 9140

Followers are growing consistently, but it's slower than it was when I first started. I attribute that to me not letting my follower count getting higher than 2k before unfollowing. Where before I was concentrating on getting more followers right off the bat.

I also haven't been able to get a post to start trending again. The two posts that got me 3K followers were reposts of the top guy in my niche. I've reposted multiple times with more followers and still nothing. Also, still working on trying to get more original content out there to help separate me from the group of competitors.

Business wise I've been getting 2-3 clients a week strictly from IG. So my IG is doing well marketing for my services.

IGKing

Author & Administrator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2016
USA
Current Follower Count - 9140

Followers are growing consistently, but it's slower than it was when I first started. I attribute that to me not letting my follower count getting higher than 2k before unfollowing. Where before I was concentrating on getting more followers right off the bat.

I also haven't been able to get a post to start trending again. The two posts that got me 3K followers were reposts of the top guy in my niche. I've reposted multiple times with more followers and still nothing. Also, still working on trying to get more original content out there to help separate me from the group of competitors.

Business wise I've been getting 2-3 clients a week strictly from IG. So my IG is doing well marketing for my services.

Aye!

How much profit do you generate from each client? If you don't mind me asking...

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
First Post 1/15/2017
Current # of Followers: 9700

I switched my title since my priorities have changed a little. My local business is slowly growing week by week just by word of mouth, referrals, and IG. IG is helping to drive those people to me, but now I am focusing on putting more educational content on my profile. The posts get 2-4x the likes, and the engagement is much better. I will still be posting pictures with clients, before/after pics, but that won't be my primary focus.

-

Decided to buy a shout out last night on a Fitness related page with 1.1 Million Followers. I was curious to see what type of traffic I would get to my page. I spent $25 for a 2-hour time slot (they left it on for 3). The statistics are below and ended up getting around 150-200 Followers just from the post.
Views - two hours in were around 25K views
Likes - 2959
Comments - 27
Saved - 265
Impressions - 62.8K
Reach - 49.7k
Engagement -3251

Won't be doing it again because of the price but it was good to see what how many followers that they can bring in.

-

Will check back in once I hit 10k Followers

Reactions: Pov

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
Current Followers - 10100

Hit 10K Followers this morning! Finally had an original post make me around 400 followers in the past 24 hours without the help of Massplanner. Hopefully, from here, it will be a little easier to grow. It's awesome waking up to hundreds of more followers without following thousands of people.

Takes a lot more effort to put original content together but man does it feel good seeing the likes and views go up from something you created. Going to try and spend a couple of hours before bed to create a bunch of content and try to make it a regular thing.

Reactions: IGKing

IGKing

Author & Administrator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2016
USA
Awesome progress @fitspo!

I love seeing these type of journeys! After looking at the time and care you put in your IG page, you are definitely positively impacting a lot of people! You will become a top authority in the niche soon enough!

Keep us posted, as I'm sure this is really motivating people! Great work!

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
Awesome progress @fitspo!

I love seeing these type of journeys! After looking at the time and care you put in your IG page, you are definitely positively impacting a lot of people! You will become a top authority in the niche soon enough!

Keep us posted, as I'm sure this is really motivating people! Great work!

Thanks @IGKing! Your advice has helped me a lot!

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
Current Followers - 11,500

Up 1400 followers since the last time I checked in on Thursday. This is all WITHOUT the use of Massplanner! Only posting original content at the moment and engagement is solid.

The only question I have is should I continue to use massplanner or should I continue trying to grow organically. I won't lie, it's nice to only follow people that I actually want to follow but I feel like I'm leaving followers on the table not using massplanner.

Any advice on this?

IGKing

Author & Administrator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2016
USA
Current Followers - 11,500

Up 1400 followers since the last time I checked in on Thursday. This is all WITHOUT the use of Massplanner! Only posting original content at the moment and engagement is solid.

The only question I have is should I continue to use massplanner or should I continue trying to grow organically. I won't lie, it's nice to only follow people that I actually want to follow but I feel like I'm leaving followers on the table not using massplanner.

Any advice on this?

Nice progress!

You could do small follows (200-400 a day), that could help you grow by 100-250 a day or so.

Thought about joining fitness engagement groups?

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
Nice progress!

You could do small follows (200-400 a day), that could help you grow by 100-250 a day or so.

Thought about joining fitness engagement groups?

I have but the ones I've seen on BHW are either
- old bumped posts
- The better ones are too high of a requirement to join
- The 5-15k follower requirements, the accounts applying or that are in them seem pretty bad. Like bad engagement, likes, etc

Do you know any better places to search for these engagement groups? or maybe reach out to people in my niche via IG?

Last edited:

IGKing

Author & Administrator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2016
USA
BHW would be your best bet, or you can contact people within your niche and tell them and explain to them the benefit of it. DM'ing people who are in similar positions to you would be ideal.

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
BHW would be your best bet, or you can contact people within your niche and tell them and explain to them the benefit of it. DM'ing people who are in similar positions to you would be ideal.

I'll give contacting people in the same niche via IG a try. I already know a couple that would be perfect for it with legitimate followings.

Also closing in on 12K followers and should be there within the next hour or so. Started liking again with massplanner and will probably start back up with follows in the next few days but just on a smaller scale. I may be wrong but I think having a low following number with good content would give you a better chance of someone following you.

IGKing

Author & Administrator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2016
USA
I'll give contacting people in the same niche via IG a try. I already know a couple that would be perfect for it with legitimate followings.

Also closing in on 12K followers and should be there within the next hour or so. Started liking again with massplanner and will probably start back up with follows in the next few days but just on a smaller scale. I may be wrong but I think having a low following number with good content would give you a better chance of someone following you.

Definitely, less people you follow will usually yield higher returns.

acgsport

Instagram Legend
Feb 2, 2017
UK
Hey fitspo let me know if you want to join a small fitness engagement group !! could help with comments and a bit more range .

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
Hey fitspo let me know if you want to join a small fitness engagement group !! could help with comments and a bit more range .

Thanks! but I'm thinking about putting together an engagement group of hand picked people with similar goals, etc.

fitspo

Mar 29, 2017
Current Followers - 12.7K

A little update on my progress. I haven't been using Massplanner to follow and unfollow this week. I did start liking photos again yesterday. I've gained almost 3K followers in the last week while only strictly putting up original content.

My current weekly impressions are at 470K and keeping up the content. Goal would be to get that around a million in the next two - three weeks but will definitely need to get something on the explore page.

I'm also starting to collect a list of IGers in my niche that has around the same amount of followers with proper engagement. Trying to keep the quality up and not bring in people who have 10k followers 7k followering and 500 views on videos.

The question I have is how would I go and properly organize the group. I know people use telegram and DMs but would it be dumb just to agree to like and comment whenever someone posts? Or does the timing of it play a big role in hitting the explore page?

Growth with NO massplanner
Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.59.50 AM.png

Reactions: GLASSNOODLE and Pov

acgsport

Instagram Legend
Feb 2, 2017
UK
hey @fitspo the first 20 minutes for comments has a reall effect and then the following 60 minutes as an indicator. If you can pick 10 comments up in the first 20 minutes it really boosts your posts likelihood of featuring in top posts and explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.